Wednesday 29 June 2011

sunshine, rainbows and lollipops!

   the last fortnight has been absolutely glorious! among many reasons, here's one:
i saw 5 rainbows over a span of 14 days!!
   this may seem a little stupid but truth is, i simply adore 'em. yeah, there's something magical and unearthly about an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines on to droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere.
  i remember the first time i saw a rainbow. 
it had been raining all day and i was really sick (i don't remember what exactly it was that had afflicted me). my mum was away and i missed her like crazy and spent most of the day crying. my dad, who'd taken the day off work, did everything he could to shut me up buuut i was a pretty cranky kid. inevitably, he got really mad at me and yelled his head off. i didn't exactly shut up after that but yeah, my hysteric wails quietened down to little wet sniffles. 
   i guess my Dad felt guilty after that so he made it up to me with hugs and kisses, lots of story-telling and a couple of cookies too, i think. at that moment the sun decided to make an appearance, and as the rains subsided, it brought in its wake the loveliest thing a 5 year old's eyes could behold - A RAINBOW.
   sadly, i don't remember the explanation my Dad had offered when i questioned him about that oh so lovely arc of colours out there. but what i do remember is that fuzzy warm feeling of happiness that crept over me when i saw it. it's a feeling i still get when i see one. a mixture of wonder and pure happiness. a feeling that makes you believe for like, a fraction of a second, that magic DOES exist.

P.S.: the title is kinnnda misleading. this post is actually dedicated to rainbows only. i guess you could include sunshine as well, since there'd be no rainbow without sunshine. also, i have nothing against lollipops.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...